New Location

You can find all the old content and new stuff too at worldplatterblog.wordpress.com

Sunday, November 15, 2009

Lemon Love Notes




This recipe was one of my favorite cookies from my mom's catering business. I have made many lemon bar recipes, but they don't compare. The recipe was lost for quite a while, on two separate occasions. After my mom passed away, my sister and I divided up her cookbooks. I got most of them but not the book with this recipe. I didn't even know what book contained it. I was visiting my sister in Connecticut and found the boxes of cookbooks in her basement. I wasn't actually looking for this recipe, just looking through the books she had. And there it was! My sister generously gave me the book, Farm Journal's Best Ever Recipes since the book has long been out of print. As you can see from the photo, the book has seen better days.

Now I knew what book had the recipe, but that didn't mean I could keep track of the book. When you have over 800 cookbooks, sometimes they get misplaced. This week, I was going through the few boxes left from our kitchen remodel last year and in a book full of novels, I found it again. I hope you all enjoy it. Pamela certainly did; I almost didn't get that photo before she ate half of them.

Crust:
1/2 cup butter (1 stick)
1 cup sifted flour
1/4 cup confectioners sugar

Filling:
1 cup sugar
2 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
2 eggs, beaten
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons lemon zest

Garnish:
confectioners sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine crust ingredients in a medium bowl. Mix until crumbly. Press into an ungreased 8-inch square pan. A little confectioners on the fingers is useful to prevent the crust from sticking as you do this. Bake for 8 minutes. Cool in pan on a rack.

Combine sugar, 2 tablespoons and baking powder in a medium bowl. Add eggs, lemon juice and lemon zest. Mix well. Pour evenly over baked, cooled crust.

Bake for 25 minutes. The top will puff up during baking but falls in cooling. Cool in pan on rack and cut into 2-inch squares. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.

Note: for altitude, use a pinch less baking powder.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers