|These are zucchini, a French variety called Ronde de Nice. It's my absolute favorite.|
Inspired by this video by Jamie Oliver (filmed in less-than-ideal grilling weather), I switched up my usual zucchini grilling method. And, I have to say Jamie is right. Grill them dry, no oil at all, and they seem to take on more smokey, grilled notes. You dress them with oil after they are grilled, which gives you better options for oil. You can choose any number of delicious but fragile oils, such as walnut, hazelnut, almond, or fine extra virgin olive. As Jamie would say, "Brilliant!"
- Slice the vegetables about ½" thick. Much thicker and they take too long to cook. Much thinner and they dry out.
- Grill over high heat with no oil until you get nice grill marks on both sides.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Dress with a tasty oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Add other seasonings as desired. I tossed in some sliced grilled cherry peppers and some lemon thyme. Basil certainly is another great choice this time of year.