Monday, December 21, 2009
More chocolate - in gingerbread cookies
Here's a wonderful cookie recipe from Martha Stewart's Cookies book. Lots of great cookie recipes in here, every kind of cookie you can imagine.
I am not a huge gingerbread fan but these are awesome.
Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Cookies
(makes 24 big cookies)
1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon Dutch-process cocoa
1/4 pound (1 stick) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup unsulfured molasses
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons boiling water
7 ounces large semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips (or use coarsely chopped chocolate bars)
about 1/4 cup sugar
1. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or SilPat.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, ground ginger, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, and cocoa.
3. In a large bowl, beat together butter and fresh ginger with an electric mixer until fluffy. Add brown sugar and beat until combined. Add molasses and beat until combined. Make sure to scrape the bowl to make sure mixture is well-combined.
4. In a small bowl, dissolve baking soda with boiling water. Add 1/2 flour mixture to butter mixture and beat until combined. Add baking soda and water and beat. Add the rest of the flour and beat until combined. Scrape down the bowl as necessary.
5. Mix in chocolate chips or chunks with a spatula. Scrape dough into plastic wrap, flatten to 1 inch thick and wrap well. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight. I would say overnight because the dough is quite sticky.
6. After dough has chilled, preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Remove dough from the fridge and divide it into 24 pieces. Place on prepared baking sheets. Chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
7. Take each piece of dough and roll it into a ball and then roll it into the sugar. Place on baking sheet, about 2" apart (they spread a lot). I needed to use a spatula to remove the dough from the baking sheet as it stuck a little.
8. Bake cookies for about 12 minutes or until cracks form on tops of cookies. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes. Take cookies off baking sheets and cool completely on racks.
Store cookies at room temperature. I didn't bake enough to freeze but I bet they freeze just fine.
Note: I made no modifications for altitude.
Link to PDF of Chewy Chocolate Gingerbread Recipe